Saturday, September 26, 2009

Marie Louise: Roasted turkey with fresh mozzarella, pear gastrique & olive tapenade.

The first time I went to Marie Louise, almost a year ago, I thought the food was...well...not good. Each dish seemed to be lacking an integral ingredient. I had no idea what it should be, I just felt like it was incomplete. My recent experiences with Marie Louise, however, have been exceedingly delicious. The free internet doesn't hurt either.

I had lunch at ML the other afternoon while visiting the fantastic, and foxy, barista (my roommate). I had a cup of coffee (of course) and then decided to stay for a sandwich. The Roasted Turkey sandwich with fresh mozzarella, pear gastrique & olive tapenade is among the cheapest meals on the menu, a steal at $8.95.



The pear gastrique is something I could eat in a pudding cup and never get bored of. I love all things pear, and the combination of the sweet fruit and the tender, hearty meat worked really well. The baguette was fresh and perfectly toasted, such a difference from the normal soggy bread of cafe sandwiches. The lettuce and tomato were great, as silly as that sounds. It seems like a mundane detail to include, but gnarly lettuce and a yellowing tomato are an easy way to ruin a fine sandwich.

If you couldn't tell from that picture, the sandwich is HUGE:




It's so big that I was able to save half of it to eat for dinner, making the price even more affordable. The olive tapenade was a mystery to me. I tasted nothing olive in the sandwich.

The fries on the side are among the tastiest fries I've ever eaten. Salty, crunchy, not too greasy. All around an excellent side dish.




The interior of Marie Louise is well lit and clean; the staff is friendly; and the food is delicious. The pastries are always fresh and absolutely beautiful to look at. Fast blurb of a recent dish I've tried (no pictures, sadly):

Caprese salad ($7.95) - Alright; not enough mozzarella; not worth nearly $8.

In closing, I'm so glad that Marie Louise has joined the Mount Vernon cafe scene!


Current location: Apartment
Current music: Muse - Undisclosed Desires (How good is the new album!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment